Sparrow’s Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, the first and only of its kind in the region, utilizes state-of-the-art technology to evaluate, diagnose and treat seizures in Patients of all ages.
EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit/EEG w/video) referrals*:
This is a 3-5 day “Inpatient” admission that will be scheduled by the secretary/Catherine, once she receives all completed documents listed below:
- Cover Sheet, with the “referring, and PCP Physicians” name, fax number and phone number.
- Physician notes/H&P from all office visits w/patient.
- List of patient’s medications.
- Written order stating 3-5 day inpatient EMU admission.
- EEG reports (if not completed within Sparrow Health System).
- Patients demographic information: patients name, DOB, address, phone number, insurance information, and copy of patient’s insurance card.
Please fax to 517.364.2073
One out of 100 people have epilepsy and one-third of those people are not cured by any single medicine.
Epileptic seizures can come in many forms, from loss of consciousness to a thumb twitch, making it crucial to be able to monitor Patients’ symptoms over a period of time.
Depending on where it starts in the brain, epilepsy can come in many forms, from a finger twitch to confusion and whole body shaking.
Sparrow is on the cutting-edge of epilepsy treatment amongst the nation’s top medical centers. In many cases, epilepsy can be satisfactorily managed with medications; however surgery remains an option for those that do not respond.
Although there is no cure for epilepsy, we are dedicated to achieving the correct diagnosis and providing the best care available.
Sparrow’s Epilepsy Monitoring Unit is the first of its kind in the region.
We understand how crucial it is to be able to monitor symptoms over a period of time to make or confirm a diagnosis. That is where Sparrow’s Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, the first of its kind in the region, can help. Led by a comprehensive team of board-certified professionals, Patients are monitored around-the-clock with highly specialized care, giving hope for one-third of epilepsy Patients who do not respond to traditional treatment methods.
Neurological issues can be challenging. Sparrow is dedicated to providing compassionate and professional care in a private setting. As the trusted source in our community, thousands of people a year visit the Sparrow Neurodiagnostic Laboratory for testing. You can be assured that our team is trained, dedicated, and available for you when you need help.
Our team utilizes the latest in technology to perform tests and analyze results related to neurological function. The testing performed is dependent on your symptoms and may include:
- Video EEG Monitoring
- Evoked Potentials (EPs)
- Auditory Evoked Potential (AEP)
- Visual Evoked Potential (VEP)
- Somatosensory Evoked Potential (SEP)
- Intraoperative Neurophysiological Monitoring (IONM)
- Transcranial Doppler (TCD)