Our 12-month American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) accredited Post Graduate Year 1 (PGY-1) Residency Program offers opportunities for learning and delivering Patient-focused care. Pharmacy Residents work as an integral part of Sparrow’s health care team collaborating with Physicians, Nurses, and Patients on appropriate medication use. In addition to rounding with a variety of Physician services, residents provide education to Caregivers and Patients.
- Complete required and elective Pharmacy experiences through the hospital
- Staff every third weekend (day shift)
- Develop and present an ACPE accredited continuing education program
- Conduct a Medication Use Evaluation (MUE), complete drug monographs and MUE, and present at the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee meetings
- Participate in collaborative practice committees
- Complete a residency project and present at the Great Lakes Residency Conference
- Author and edit the pharmacy newsletter
- Attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Assist in precepting Pharm.D. and medical students
- Participate in Pharmacy Education and Development Lecture Series (PEDALS) program in association with Ferris State University (optional)
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice
- Internal Medicine
- Critical Care
- Ambulatory Care
- Adult Antimicrobial Stewardship/Infectious Disease Rotation
- Drug Information/P&T Committee
- Research Project
- Weekend Staffing
- Pain Management
- Trauma /Surgical Critical Care
- Infectious Diseases
- Managed Care
- Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA)
- Pediatric Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
Eligibility and Application Process
To be eligible for Sparrow’s Pharmacy PGY-1 Residency, the following requirements must be met:
- Possess a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree from an ACPE-accredited school
- Licensed Pharmacist or eligible for Pharmacist licensure in Michigan by the start of the residency (licensure is required within two months of the entering the program)
- Attend an on-site interview
- Nicotine-free to comply with Sparrow’s nicotine-free hiring policy
- Non-U.S. citizens must have employment authorization that is valid throughout the residency period
Sparrow, a member of the prestigious Mayo Clinic Care Network, is mid-Michigan’s premier health care organization and the region’s largest private employer.
Sparrow Hospital, the flagship of the Sparrow Health System, is the regional center for cancer, trauma, pediatrics, orthopedics, neonatal intensive care and neurological care. The innovation, compassion and growth of our more than 600-bed teaching hospital, and other services, creates unique opportunities for Pharmacy Residents.
We offer an attractive compensation package and excellent benefits with a company that promotes diversity and inclusion and fosters open communication between all Caregivers.
- Competitive pay
- Health insurance
- Fitness center discount
- Paid time off
- Life insurance
- Pharmacy CE
- Paid holidays
- Travel allowance for required meetings
About Lansing, MI
Lansing is Michigan’s capital city and so much more. The downtown area is thriving with restaurants, shops, an eclectic music and arts scene, and a minor league baseball team and stadium just blocks from Sparrow Hospital.
We’re circled by interstates that take you to the beauty of Northern Michigan and to metropolitan cities like Detroit and Chicago.
A few miles east, Michigan State University provides a Big Ten education and athletics, as well as a campus full of venues available to the public like the Abrams Planetarium, Breslin Student Events Center, which hosts concerts, basketball, and the circus, Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, and The Wharton Center for the Performing Arts.
Complete application packet submitted via PhORCAS, which includes:
- Letter of intent
- Recommendations from three professional sources
- Copy of your College of Pharmacy transcripts
- Copy of your Curriculum Vitae
Applicants must submit the above required information to PhORCAS by Jan. 5. Only completed applications will be accepted for review. If you have questions, contact:
Peggy Malovrh, Pharm.D., BCPS
PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency Director
1215 E. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48912